Frequently Asked Questions

High School Students:

It is possible to be admitted as a not-matriculated/non-degree seeking student and get credit for a course. However, the Credits and Admissions Committee has determined that while high school students can be admitted as a non-matriculated students, they are not eligible to take online courses. They must take in-person courses at a U campus. Non-matriculated students can take any classes they have met the pre-requisites (if there are any). So for example, a student wanting to take an entry level 1010 course could do so no problem. But if that student wanted to take a 3000 level course that required a previous 2000 level course, then the student would need to provide some evidence of having taken the 2000 level course. This is usually done by submitting a transcript. There really is not set maximum number of credits a student can take as a non-matriculated student, but many schools will limit the number of non-matric credits that they will apply to a degree program later on. For example, the U will only apply up to 30 credit hours of non-matriculated credits towards a degree. So students will want to be careful of this.

Foreign Students:

Yes. You can apply as a non-matriculated student and take UOnline courses if your country has favorable trade relationships and/or treaties with the US. You would do your computer-based exams in your home with a virtual proctor. Follow the steps for non-matriculation entry here.

All Others:

To begin a course of study with UOnline we must be approved in your state of residence to offer our programs.  You can find out if you are approved by visiting our State Authorization page.  Then you must complete an application for admission and be accepted into the University.  If you are a current student at the University you may register for an Online course just as you register for any course.

The University of Utah  has continuously maintained accreditation through the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) since 1933. Accreditation through NWCCU means that the institution meets the Commission’s established standards of educational quality and effectiveness.

Welcome to the world of online learning. Before you enroll in an online course, take some time to think about yourself as a learner and see whether your characteristics would help you be a successful online learner. Your answers to these questions can help you decide whether or not to take an online course. You can also talk to your adviser before you decide.

Online Readiness Questionnaire by Penn State University is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
Original Work by Vicki Williams of Penn State University

Please indicate whether you agree or disagree with the following statements:

Start quiz

Yes! It is absolutely possible to take both on campus and online classes simultaneously. You would register for the online classes the same way that you register for on campus courses through CIS. When you are registering for a class, simply look at the “Class Attributes” to see if the class has an “ONLN” designation. The ONLN designation means the class will be online and the instructor will communicate with you via Canvas.

Yes! Academic departments at the University of Utah determine whether courses taken at another school are equivalent or comparable to courses taught at the University of Utah. This process is called “transfer articulation”. The transfer articulation guide provides information on how courses articulate between Utah schools. This guide is specific for the University of Utah and identifies articulated courses; it does not indicate how these courses might apply to a major and/or institution graduation requirements. Please reference our Getting Ready Guides for more information about how courses transfer into a specific major.

We have agreements in place with all the Utah State Institutions of higher education and BYU-Idaho (Articulation Guides) that can inform you as to what credits will transfer to the U. If you have taken any courses after high school at a college or university, you will fill out the “Transfer Student” application. However, if you have fewer than 30 credit hours you will need to submit your official college and high school transcript as well as your ACT or SAT scores.

You must apply and be admitted to the University in order to take any for-credit, UOnline courses. Students registering for online classes follow the University of Utah’s standard registration procedures. Online classes are identified in the class schedule by the ONLN attribute. Online classes do carry a $60 per class fee that helps pay for the technology services involved in developing, delivering, and supporting online versions of university courses.

Online courses follow the regular semester schedule just like our on-campus classes. They start the first day of the semester and end 16 weeks later. You will often have exams, such as a midterm or a final, which need to be completed within specific timeframes. All coursework and its corresponding timeframe are outlined on a syllabus you can access electronically. These courses are not like an independent study program where you can take 9-12 months to complete the material and information. Online classes simply don’t have a required meeting time or place; instead you access class media, readings, discussions, and assignments over the internet through your computer or mobile device. The online environment lets you ask questions, build connections with classmates, and virtually access university services.

There is no cap on the number of credits a University of Utah student can earn through online offerings – with the exception of special regulations for international students on campus or residing in the United States. The University’s International Student and Scholar Services can explain online credit limitations for international students.

Yes, most international students on campus can take UOnline courses, however please be aware that students on an F-1 visa may only take a limited number of online credits in a semester.  Please visit the International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) website or speak with an ISSS advisor before registering to ensure you understand the applicable rules for your visa.   

There are limited scholarship opportunities for international students. Students applying to attend the University of Utah on an F-1 student visa are not automatically considered for merit-based scholarships and do not qualify for federal (U.S. government) financial aid.  The majority of scholarship opportunities would come from individual departments or programs, however they are generally reserved for continuing students, meaning they would not qualify their first semester or first year. There are a few departments that will award scholarship money to incoming first year students: College of Engineering, Business Scholars, and talent awards from the College of Fine Arts (dance, music). The deadlines to apply for these are generally early in the cycle and all require additional applications/materials. Most departments offer major specific scholarships to students once they have declared their major and meet some minimum criteria (GPA, etc.)

 Request info


University Application Deadlines

Spring - November 1

Summer - March 15

Fall - April 1

Apply Now
Last Updated: 8/28/17