Offered through the College of Health the fully online MS in Exercise and Sport Science with a concentration in Sport Pedagogy is designed for practicing physical education teachers who want to pursue an advanced degree and expand their expertise in this field. The convenient online format and practical experience make this an ideal program for the busy teacher and/or coach.
At the University of Utah our courses combine traditional online learning – where you study individually at home at your own pace – with interactive learning. Interactive learning increases your engagement with classmates and instructor, as well as with the materials covered. In this manner it improves learning outcomes. Our courses combine the flexibility of online teaching with the advantages and direct engagement of traditional teaching.
Interactive learning comes in a variety of ways:
- Through group assignments– where you collaborate via email or a discussion forum to answer a problem set.
- Through contributions to a discussion forum– where you directly respond to previous posts.
- Through “peer reviews”– where you review and comment upon assignments from other students.
Our classes also offer multiple routes to stay connected and get help:
- Converse directly with the instructor via email.
- Participate in and guide online discussions.
- Attend online office hours in discussion threads or on the phone.
- Instructors are available in “real” office hours for students on or near campus; and (for some courses) we offer (voluntary) Q&A sessions in a classroom.
M.S. Exercise and Sport Science
All of the courses at the University, whether online or on campus, are taught by the same high-quality faculty members. There’s no distinction on your diploma that you completed courses online.
To be considered for admission into the program you must be a licensed physical education instructor currently teaching physical education classes. You must have completed your undergraduate studies with a 3.0 GPA or higher overall during your last two years of undergraduate studies and attained your bachelors degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
Must have access to a reliable computer and the internet
Must possess and have working knowledge of software such as Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and Flash Player
You can view the online degree information HERE.
The suggested course of study is as follows:
Fall – Year 1
- ESS 6100 Effective Teaching in Physical Education
- ESS 6101 Teaching Health-Related Fitness K-12
Spring – Year 1
- ESS 6102 Tactical Games Content in Physical Education
- ESS 6103 Educational Dance & Gymnastics Content
Summer – Year 1
- ESS 6104 Professional Issues in Physical Education
- ESS 6105 Designing Curriculum in Physical Education
Fall – Year 2
- ESS 6106 Teaching Interdisciplinary Physical Education
- ESS 6107 Programs in Special Physical Education
Spring – Year 2
- ESS 6108 Physical Education Supervision
- ESS 6109 Assessment & Evaluation in Physical Education
Summer – Year 2
- ESS 6110 Reflective Teaching in Physical Education
- ESS 6850 Graduate Seminar
For a complete listing of all online ESS courses currently available visit this link.
For application procedures and other information please contact:
Dr. Timothy A. Brusseau, Director of Sport Pedagogy (email: email@example.com)
Department of Exercise & Sport Science
250 South 1850 East, Room 205
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0920