The Master of Arts in Teaching with an emphasis in Fine Arts (MAT-FA) is a two-year, primarily online program, with a short on-campus residency. Our program focuses on the development of rigorous pedagogical expertise required to improve the delivery of high-quality arts experiences.
Students can expect to complete the degree-specific coursework in 2 years.
This MAT-FA is appropriate for teaching artists (licensed or not) seeking a graduate level degree that emphasizes advanced coursework and pedagogy regarding teaching in and across the arts.
At the University of Utah, our courses combine the flexibility of online teaching with the advantages and direct engagement of traditional teaching. Enjoy the benefit of studying online at your own pace while still engaging with classmates and instructors. This flexible way of teaching improves your overall experience and your ability to retain what you learn.
Interactive learning comes in a variety of ways:
- Group assignments, where you collaborate via email or a discussion forum to answer a problem set.
- Contributions to a discussion forum, where you directly respond to previous posts.
- Peer reviews, where you review and comment on assignments from other students.
Our classes also offer multiple routes to stay connected and get help:
- Communicate directly with the instructor via email.
- Participate in and guide online discussions.
- Attend online office hours in discussion threads or on the phone.
- Instructors are available in “real” office hours for students on or near campus; for some courses we offer Q&A sessions in a classroom.
MAT-FA from the College of Fine Arts
This is a college degree not housed in a single department.
The MAT-FA requires 30 semester hours of graduate-level course work in the teaching content area, the fine arts.
18 credit hours are devoted to two 12-day summer intensives on the University of Utah's main campus and include additional online work to be completed prior and subsequent to the on-campus sessions. Summer intensives provide colleagues opportunities to engage in and contribute to the greater vision and mission of what arts education is and can be, and emphasize methods-based arts teaching techniques.Cutting-edge arts teaching seminars convene local, national, and internationally recognized arts educators to work collaboratively with MAT-FA candidates, campus and community team teaching opportunities, and hybrid online reflective work.
The additional 12 credit hours required for the degree consist of online work be completed during the fall and spring semesters of each of the two academic years. Online curriculum focuses on the areas of arts teaching theory and application via three individual arts teaching practicums that take place in collaboration with various local and national communities.
Download the MAT Student Handbook.
Total program tuition (beginning Fall Term 2022): $20,010 ($667 per credit x 30 credits).
- Tuition rate is current as of Fall 2022. Tuition is subject to change. Changes typically occur in the summer but can happen at any time. MAT-FA tuition chart
- Please note tuition does not include additional fees such as online textbooks or proctored exams. Fees and materials vary by program. Please refer to the tuition estimator for a better idea of cost per semester.
- The university tuition reduction benefit for employees and dependents is not applicable for UOnline program-declared students. If you wish to complete your program online while using the tuition benefit, you will need to be declared as an on-campus student taking Online Flex courses.
The application for Summer 2023 will become available on August 1, 2022, with a deadline of May 1, 2023.
Applicants for admission to the Fine Arts, MAT, will be recommended by the Arts Education
Committee and approved by the Graduate School at the University of Utah. Applications may be submitted between August 1 and May 1 with priority deadline of
March 15. Application fee of $55 if applying before March 15 and a $30 late fee applied thereafter.
We expect that candidates will have a commitment to the demands of graduate study, as well as at least one of the following:
- A bachelor's degree in a specific art form.
- A state arts endorsement in theatre, dance, visual arts, film, or music.
- A cognate education degree suitable to the study of arts teaching.
- Commensurate arts teaching experience.
As part of the application to the Graduate School at the University of Utah, the Fine Arts, MAT will require the following materials of its applicants:
- Statement of Purpose: You should use your statement to describe your background, interests, and goals in the study of arts education.
- Résumé or Curriculum Vitae listing your educational background and experience.
- Two letters of recommendation: Letters will be submitted online through the ApplyYourself system. Applicants will enter the names and email addresses for the individuals they are asking to provide recommendations. These providers will receive emails requesting they fill out online recommendations.
- An Arts Teaching Portfolio will be required in addition to the Graduate School application
materials and must contain the following materials:
- 3 lesson plans (lessons focusing on work in the traditional classroom and alongside community organizations/participants accepted)
- 1 arts teaching video (5-8 minutes in length)
- Images of youth work and/or performances conducted alongside various community members.
- Optional: Additional creative work.
- Upload portfolio here.
- Current background-check*: Students must submit documentation of a cleared background
check prior to recommendation for admission into the Master of Arts in Teaching -
Fine Arts program.
Please send proof of a cleared background check to email@example.com.
Top applicants will be interviewed by the Arts Education Committee prior to admittance.
*Utah background checks can be obtained through the following links:
*University of Utah HR for out-of-state and instate applicants:
Background Checks for Authorized Adults. All enrolled students must submit their information for a background check. They may go to this website to order and pay for their background check: https://umarket.utah.edu/um2/HR1/index.php?storecookie=1
We have been rated as one of the top 25 Online Master’s Degrees in Education
for 2021 by educationdegree.com