Designed to develop innovative thinkers who will lead the next generation of financial professionals, the David Eccles School of Business Master of Science in Finance (MSF) degree adds clout to your resume and expands your career options. Ranked No. 1 in the U.S. for best value by the Financial Times, and top-15 overall by the TFE Times, the Eccles School MSF prepares tomorrow’s financial leaders to react to the ever-changing industry and redefine their own institutions.
At the University of Utah, our courses combine the flexibility of online teaching with the advantages and direct engagement of traditional teaching. Enjoy the benefit of studying online at your own pace while still engaging with classmates and instructors. This flexible way of teaching improves your overall experience and your ability to retain what you learn.
Interactive learning comes in a variety of ways:
- Group assignments, where you collaborate via email or a discussion forum to answer a problem set.
- Contributions to a discussion forum, where you directly respond to previous posts.
- Peer reviews, where you review and comment on assignments from other students.
Our classes also offer multiple routes to stay connected and get help:
- Communicate directly with the instructor via email.
- Participate in and guide online discussions.
- Attend online office hours in discussion threads or on the phone.
- Instructors are available in “real” office hours for students on or near campus; for some courses we offer Q&A sessions in a classroom.
Master of Science in Finance (MSF) from the David Eccles School of Business
Our core curriculum lays a strong foundation in Finance. Elective courses expand on this foundation and allow you to specialize in your path of study.
The MSF curriculum contains 30 total credits. These credits are comprised of 15 core credits and 15 elective credits. Once admitted, we recommend students make an appointment with an academic advisor to map out a course of study that will align with their needs and class schedules. This will help ensure students are meeting key degree requirements while accomplishing their education goals.
Reading and Interpreting Financial Statements
Advanced Corporate Finance
Investments and Portfolio Management
Any 3 Credits from the Following:
Financial Application of Statistical Models
Introduction to Financial Programming
VBA for Excel
Elective Course Options:
Value and Management Accounting
Business Valuation and Analysis
Tax and Business Strategies
Finance Professional Lecture Series
Personal Finance Planning
Financial Management and Decision Making in a Corporation
Excel for Finance Professionals
VBA for Accounting and Finance
Cases in Corporate Financial Planning & Analysis
Intro Risk Management for Multi-Assets Investors
Advanced Venture Capital
Private Equity Buyouts
Perspectives in Private Equity
Financial Markets Laboratory
Mergers and Acquisitions
CFA Level I
CFA Level I Part 2
Innovations in Housing Affordability
Real Estate Finance
Real Estate Analysis Techniques
Real Estate Lab
Real Estate Investment Trusts
Fixed Income Investing
Profiles of Leadership
A comprehensive exit exam is also required to graduate from the program.
The online program has no special tuition requirements. Click here for more information on tuition and financial aid.
MSF alumni have earned a strong reputation in local and national finance companies. Students in this program have the opportunity to work one-on-one with a dedicated career coach and take advantage of our career opportunities. Examples of some of the job positions that our MSF alum hold are financial analyst, financial manager, portfolio manager, and risk analyst. Our most recent graduates’ average salary is $90,925.
To be considered for the MSF program, applicants must complete the following admission requirements:
- Behave professionally and ethically throughout the admissions process.
- Graduate with a four-year U.S. regionally accredited institution or an equivalent.
- Obtain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA or the last 60 credit hours equates to a 3.0.
- Obtain two letters of recommendation.
- Submit a statement of purpose.
- Submit a resume.
- Submit unofficial transcripts of all institutions attended.
- Satisfy two prerequisite courses preferably with a B or better: Intro to Accounting (3 credits) and Financial Management (3 credits).
- International applicants must demonstrate English language proficiency by taking either the IELTS or TOEFL exam. Applicants must earn a minimum 6.5 IELTS score or a minimum 90 TOEFL score.
More details about the admission requirements can be found on our website.
Click here to apply for the MSF program.