Designed to provide the advanced education necessary to manage the technology of business, the David Eccles School of Business Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS) Online program offers technical education with a business slant, delivered in an interactive, highly-accessible online format. Industry-driven coursework and opportunities for hands-on experience prepare our graduates for leadership positions in one of the fastest-growing job sectors in the world. In fact, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics forecasts a 12 percent growth for employment in the IS/IT industry from 2014 to 2024.
Why MSIS Online:
- Attend full-time or part-time
- Interactive online classes, available 24/7
- Structured curriculum – classes follow the same timeline as on-campus versions
- Access to one-on-one virtual career coaching
- Gain hands-on skills through the capstone project
- Advance your career in the lucrative technology industry
- Same high-quality faculty as on-campus courses
At the University of Utah, our courses combine the flexibility of online teaching with the advantages and direct engagement of traditional teaching. Enjoy the benefit of studying online at your own pace while still engaging with classmates and instructors. This flexible way of teaching improves your overall experience and your ability to retain what you learn.
Interactive learning comes in a variety of ways:
- Group assignments, where you collaborate via email or a discussion forum to answer a problem set.
- Contributions to a discussion forum, where you directly respond to previous posts.
- Peer reviews, where you review and comment on assignments from other students.
Our classes also offer multiple routes to stay connected and get help:
- Communicate directly with the instructor via email.
- Participate in and guide online discussions.
- Attend online office hours in discussion threads or on the phone.
- Instructors are available in “real” office hours for students on or near campus; for some courses we offer Q&A sessions in a classroom.
Master of Science in Information Systems
All MSIS Online courses are taught by the same high-quality faculty members as on-campus courses. Your diploma will not designate your degree as an online program.
Students must have the equivalent of a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution upon entering the program. An academic or employment background specifically in business or information systems is not required; students from all majors and professional backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
The MSIS Online program does not have any pre-requisites.
MSIS Online Degree Requirements
- Credit Requirement: 30 credit hours
- Core: 18 credit hours
- Electives: 12 credit hours
- Co-Requisite: 3 credit hours
- Master of Science Requirement: MSIS Online students complete a capstone project to satisfy the Master of Science degree requirement. A master’s thesis is not required.
MSIS Online students have a variety of career options in the information systems industry. Average salaries for IS professionals range from $66,000 - $90,000 according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Students in the MSIS Online program complete a career development course and have access to one-on-one virtual meetings with an MSIS career coach throughout their time in the program.
Some common job titles for MSIS graduates include:
- Database Administrator
- Business Intelligence Analyst
- Data Analyst
- Systems Analyst
- IT Security Specialist
- Network Administrator
- Project Manager
- Technical Consultant
- David Eccles School of Business Online Application and fee
- Bachelor Degree – MSIS Online applicants must have completed a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or equivalent.
- Transcripts – Applicants will be asked to upload unofficial transcripts from any and
all undergraduate institutions attended. Official transcripts are not required at time of application.
- GPA – A minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA is required for admission. Consideration will be made for applicants meeting this 3.0 GPA over the last 60 credits hours taken in their undergraduate coursework.
- Standardized Test Score (GMAT/GRE) – MSIS Online applicants are required to submit
an official GMAT or GRE score. One exam is not preferred over the other; for applicants
who take the GRE, GRE scores will be converted to the GMAT scale for consistency.
- Competitive scores for admission:
- GMAT: 570-590
- GRE: 309-312
- GMAT/GRE substitutions are available for select applicants. Find out more.
- Competitive scores for admission:
- Letters of Recommendation – Two letters of recommendation are required for the MSIS Online application. For applicants who have one or more years of professional, full-time work experience, we strongly recommend at least one recommendation come from a current or former employer.
- Professional Resume - Applicants will be asked to upload a business resume that includes your employment history in reverse chronological order, with titles, dates, and whether you worked part-time or full-time. Please note that the MSIS Online program does not have a minimum work experience requirement for admission.
- Essays – MSIS Online applicants will be asked to submit a required statement of purpose essay, describing their reasons for pursuing this degree, career goals and interest in technology. Applicants can also submit an optional essay to address any weaknesses in their application.
- English Proficiency – International applicants must demonstrate English Language proficiency
and are required to submit an official TOEFL or IELTS exam score.
- Minimum TOEFL score: 90
- Minimum IELTS score: 6.5
- Video Introduction – Applicants are asked to submit a one-minute video recording of how you would introduce yourself to new peers and faculty members. You’re also encouraged to include any personal and professional aspects you believe are significant in your pursuit of admission.
- International applicants who received a bachelor degree from a U.S. institution may be eligible for a TOEFL waiver. Find out more.
MSIS Online students can start the program in fall or spring semester. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis until the stated deadline for each semester. Please find current deadlines here.
MSIS Online Estimated Tuition and Fees
- Full-Time: $29,600
- Part-Time: $32,300
- Non-resident students: Applicants not meeting residency requirements to receive Utah state resident tuition rates should contact Laurie Bragg to learn more about scholarship opportunities for non-residents.
- Online and on-campus courses have identical tuition. Online students pay an additional $60 fee per course to cover the costs of operating online courses. Online classes may also have additional fees for testing.