Skip to content

State Authorizations

Click on any state in the map below to learn more about our authorization status in each state. Please see the state authorization homepage for additional information.


Map Key

SARA Member
Not Regulated

Alphabetical State List

University of Utah Online State Authorization Information

For students who reside outside of Utah and are interested in an online or distance-education program with the University of Utah, we have provided the map above to assist with questions regarding our authorization status with their home state. In depth information regarding state authorization can be found on the state authorization homepage.

Due to differences in each state’s distance education regulations, the University of Utah may have to meet additional requirements or seek authorization in certain states (grey states) before we can enroll students who reside there in our distance-based or online programs. As we gain authorization or exemption (green states), this site will be updated to reflect these changes. Restrictions are noted for each state.

If you live in a state where the University of Utah is not currently authorized, please contact our state authorization coordinator or the advisor for your intended program. Whenever possible, we will seek authorization and programmatic approval rather than deny a student application to our online programs based on their state of residence.

For students interested in nursing, social work, clinical psychology or other academic programs that lead to professional licensure, it is imperative that you understand the regulations and requirements for your home state PRIOR to enrolling in any academic program. For your convenience, please see our Licensed Professions Disclosures page to help you get started. If you experience difficulty finding the licensure requirements for your state, please contact the program advisor or state authorization coordinator at the University of Utah for help.

Students, faculty, or departments should email the state authorization coordinator with any additional questions.

Students who have complaints against the school relating to fraud, false advertising, or other deceptive practices can learn more about registering complaints.

Last Updated: 2/6/24