The online Sustainable Tourism & Hospitality Management emphasis within Parks, Recreation, and Tourism (PRT) is designed to prepare students with the theoretical knowledge, operational expertise, and technical skills to succeed in a diverse and exciting field. Students in this program learn about cultural and ethical implications of tourism, tourism policy, biodiversity and cultural heritage conservation, destination marketing, visitor management, customer service, event management, sustainability, and tourism economics. Students may earn the Hospitality Operations Certificate from the American Hotel and Lodging Association. The University of Utah is the only school in Utah to offer this certificate.
In this program, you can focus your education on sustainable tourism management, hospitality management, or tourism enterprise and marketing management. This allows you to customize your degree to meet your needs. The online format of this program provides the flexibility and convenience necessary for working professionals, distance students, or travelers who want to complete the degree in a timely manner.
Our courses combine traditional online learning – where you study individually at home at your own pace – with interactive learning. Interactive learning increases your engagement with classmates and instructor, as well as with the materials covered. In this manner it improves learning outcomes. Our courses combine the flexibility of online teaching with the advantages and direct engagement of traditional teaching.
Interactive learning comes in a variety of ways:
- Through group assignments, where you collaborate via email or a discussion forums to answer a problem set.
- Through contributions to discussion forum, where you directly respond to other student’s posts.
- Through “peer reviews,” where you review and comment upon assignments submitted by other students.
Our classes also offer multiple routes to stay connected and get help:
- Converse directly with the instructor via course messages, media comments and email.
- Participate in and guide online discussions.
- Attend online office hours via discussion threads or on the phone.
- Instructors are available for in-person office hours for students on or near campus; and (for some courses) we offer (voluntary) Q&A sessions in a classroom.
Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism with an emphasis in Sustainable Tourism & Hospitality Management.
All of the courses at the University, whether online or on campus, are taught by the same high-quality faculty members. There’s no distinction on your diploma that you completed courses online.
Students may customize their degree through the choice of elective focus areas in sustainable tourism, hospitality management, or tourism marketing and enterprise. Freshman, transfer, returning, or non-traditional students can all register for this online program. All of the coursework can be completed online.
Core courses in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism:
All students will complete a total of 42 credit hours in required Parks, Recreation, and Tourism courses including an internship. These courses provide the breadth of knowledge and foundational skills that are required in the industry.
- PRT 3100 Foundations of PRT
- PRT 3101 Professional Preparation in PRT
- PRT 3207 PRT Management
- PRT 3211 PRT Experience & Service Marketing
- PRT 3310 Leisure Behavior & Human Diversity
- PRT 3320 Recreation Programming & Leadership
- PRT 3520 Liability and Risk Management -OR- PRT 3206 Hospitality Law
- PRT 3700 Computer Applications in PRT
- PRT 3780 Evaluation in PRT
- PRT 5395 Financial Management in PRT
- PRTL 1500 Wilderness Recreation
- PRT 4828 The Senior Internship
Core courses in Sustainable Tourism & Hospitality Management:
All students will complete a total of 9 credit hours in required Sustainable Tourism & Hospitality Management courses, which are designed to introduce students to topics, issues, and skills for tourism and hospitality.
- PRT 3201 Introduction to Hospitality and Tourism
- PRT 5460 Electronic Marketing in PRT
- PRT 5875 Sustainable Tourism & Protected Area Management
Elective focus areas:
All students will complete a total of 15 credit hours in one of three focus areas. The elective focus areas allow students to customize their degree to their interests and needs.
- Sustainable Tourism Management
- Hospitality Management
- Tourism Enterprise and Marketing
To view all PRT courses available online in the Summer 2017 term view the Class Schedule.
To view all PRT courses available online in the Fall 2017 term view the Class Schedule.
This program offers the Hospitality Operations Certificate from the American Hotel and Lodging Association. This requires completion of eight courses each of which include a $75 fee that provides access to the electronic textbook and two attempts at the online exam for the certificate.
Tuition for online courses is based on residency. Online and on-campus courses have identical tuition. Online students pay an additional $60 fee per course to cover the costs of operating online courses. Please visit University of Utah’s tuition rate schedule for more information about tuition and to calculate tuition rates by program.
As an estimate, a resident undergraduate student with no declared major, taking 12 credit hours of online courses, can expect to pay $3841.33* per semester.
*Tuition calculations are based on the Fall 2016 term, are an estimate only, subject to change without notice, and vary per program. Many programs also offer financial aid, scholarship opportunities, or tuition assistance opportunities for which qualifying students may apply.
Graduates with an emphasis in Sustainable Tourism & Hospitality Management are empowered to work effectively in management, sales and marketing, human resources, customer service, and research in a myriad of governmental agencies and private businesses that collectively comprise the tourism and hospitality industry. For example, our alumni have gone on to work in human resources for airlines, sales management for hotels, recreation management for resorts, event management for hotel and tourism agencies, guest services for cruise lines, and tour guiding for ecotourism companies. There is a wide range of opportunities for graduates in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. The average salary for U of U graduates of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism is $35,700.