Our Master of Legal Studies program from the S. J. Quinney College of Law is an option for learning about the law without getting a J.D. It can increase job opportunities for a wide range of professions. If you find yourself needing a better foundation for working with and understanding law and regulation without becoming a lawyer, this degree may be right for you.
This program can be completed in one calendar year, August to August (fall, spring, and summer semesters).
* Tuition is subject to change.
Leaving UOnline Site
This program can be completed in-person or as a UOnline student. Information on the program’s webpage may not apply to UOnline. To learn more about the difference between UOnline and on-campus, you can read more here. If you still have questions, please contact our UOnline team by filling out the "Want to Talk to Someone?" form on the website.
At the University of Utah, our courses combine the flexibility of online teaching with the advantages and direct engagement of traditional teaching. Enjoy the benefit of studying online at your own pace while still engaging with classmates and instructors. This flexible way of teaching improves your overall experience and your ability to retain what you learn.
Interactive learning comes in a variety of ways:
- Group assignments, where you collaborate via email, Zoom, or a discussion forum to answer a problem set.
- Contributions to a discussion forum, where you directly respond to previous posts.
- Peer reviews, where you review and comment on assignments from other students.
Our classes also offer multiple routes to stay connected and get help:
- Communicate directly with the instructor via email, by phone, or on Zoom.
- Participate in and guide online discussions.
- Attend online office hours in discussion threads, on the phone, or on Zoom.
- Instructors are available in “real” office hours for students on or near campus; for some courses we offer Q&A sessions in a classroom.
Master of Legal Studies
- Must have a bachelor's degree to apply. No standardized test scores required to apply.
- Must complete 30 credit hours to graduate.
- One year program (3 semesters) - runs August to August. Required courses:
- Understanding Cases, Statutes, and Legislation
- Legal Writing and Research for MLS Students
- Conflict and Legal Crisis Management OR Basic Mediation
- Legal Ethics in the Provision and Management of Legal Service
- Must maintain a 3.0 GPA to graduate
Total program tuition at current rates: $31,500 ($1,050 per credit x 30 credits).
- Tuition rate is current as of Fall 2022. Tuition is subject to change. Changes typically occur in the summer but can happen at any time. College of Law Tuition Charts
- Please note tuition does not include additional fees such as online textbooks or proctored exams. Fees and materials vary by program. Please refer to the tuition estimator for a better idea of cost per semester.
- The university tuition reduction benefit for employees and dependents is not applicable for UOnline program-declared students. If you wish to complete your program online while using the tuition benefit, you will need to be declared as an on-campus student taking Online Flex courses.
Applicants to this program come from many different career backgrounds. Many just want to improve their positions within their same company or career field, while others want to change careers. The fields, industries, and careers for which the MLS degree is well suited include, but are not limited to:
- Regulatory affairs
- Compliance (finance, healthcare, compliance directors, compliance analysts, and more)
- Human resources
- Education (higher education, secondary education, K-12)
- Contract administration
- Law (court administrators, paralegals, legal assistants, limited licensed practitioners, legal analysts, etc.)
- Mediation & dispute resolution
- Business (corporate executives, accountants)
- Law enforcement (police officers, private investigators, federal agents, intelligence analysts)
- Healthcare & health services
- Risk management
Because most people who enter the program are mid-career professionals in many different industries, it is difficult to speak to total salary numbers. However, the data concerning our first cohorts indicate that within 6 months of completing the program, most students were able to secure a promotion, a pay raise averaging $10,000-$15,000 more per year, and/or a new job better in line with their career goals.
No standardized test scores are required. Applications may be submitted between October 1 and June 30 with priority deadline of April 1. Application fee of $55 if applying before April 1 (fee waivers may be available by contacting email@example.com) and a $30 late fee applied thereafter.
Students wishing to apply to the online MLS program must complete/submit:
- Application form (application instructions here)
- Personal statement indicating why you wish to complete the program and how it fits into your career goals
- Writing sample(s)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Transcripts (need not be official, however, official transcripts will be require by the University if you are admitted) - must have at least a bachelor's degree to apply