About Block U
Block U is an academic learning community for first-year college students. For two semesters, a small group of students, peer advisor and faculty participate in a class built around a theme.
In addition to the learning community class, students register for a schedule (block) of thematically organized classes that, together with the learning community class, meet all the required general education Intellectual Exploration components.
In Block U classes, students develop skills that are important for all careers, such as problem solving, written and oral communication skills, and teamwork. Block U is designed to provide students with an experience that combines the personal attention of a small college environment with the unparalleled resources of a large research university.
With Block U, you will:
- Complete all of your general education Intellectual Exploration requirements in one year
- Develop the skills to take 15 credit hours or more each semester.
- Develop connections with Block U students, faculty, peer advisors, and campus resources.
- Receive official stamp on your transcript and Block U certificate.
- Conduct and produce relevant community-engaging projects.
About Global Citizenship
Global Citizenship is about thinking more globally as you start to act locally. The world is a smaller and smaller place every day. Globalization affects our lives every day. From healthcare to the environment to poverty and popular culture, participation in the world is a global act. Global Citizenship is led by faculty in the College of Humanities.
With Global Citizenship, you will:
- Participate with others in a virtual self-exploration and study of tough issues facing our planet and its inhabitants.
- Explore and understand the footprint of your citizenship along with its rights and responsibilities, locally and globally.
- Satisfy your interest in having and managing global impact.
- Engage in and learn some of the most cutting-edge online community-building programs.
The classes associated with this learning community will provide you the opportunity to learn and explore the writing, math, linguistics, economics, chemistry, and the art pathways.
view class schedule and more information
Visit our FAQ page for answers to questions we receive pretty often. If you have a question that is not listed, please fill out the contact form and a Block U Ambassador will reach out within 24 hours.